Information We Collect
- Information you share with us. We collect and process your information when you place an order, create an account, register your Youturn genetic testing kit, complete research surveys, post on our Forums or use other messaging features, and contact Customer Care. This information can generally be categorized as Registration Information, Self-Reported Information, and/or User Content as defined in our full Privacy Statement.
- Information from our DNA testing services. With your consent, we extract your DNA from your saliva sample and analyze it to produce your Genetic Information (the As, Ts, Cs, and Gs at particular locations in your genome) in order to provide you with Youturn genetic testing reports.
How We Use Information
- To provide our Services. We process Personal Information in order to provide our Service, which includes processing payments, shipping kits to customers, creating customer accounts and authenticating logins, analyzing saliva samples and DNA, and delivering results and powering tools like DNA Relatives.
- To analyze and improve our Services. We constantly work to improve and provide new reports, tools, and Services. For example, we are constantly working to improve our ability to assign specific ancestries to your DNA segments and maximize the granularity of our results. We may also need to fix bugs or issues, analyze the use of our website to improve the customer experience or assess our marketing campaigns.
- For Youturn genetic testing Research, with your consent. If you choose to consent to participate in Youturn genetic testing Research, Youturn genetic testing researchers can include your de-identified Genetic Information and Self-Reported Information in a large pool of customer data for analyses aimed at making scientific discoveries.
How We Secure Information
- Independent security certification and audit. Our information security management system, which protects Youturn genetic testing information assets supporting our Services, has been certified under the internationally recognized ISO/IEC 27001:2013 standard. Some of those controls are described below.
- Encryption. Youturn genetic testing uses industry standard security measures to encrypt Sensitive Information both when it is stored and when it is being transmitted.
- Limited access to essential personnel. We limit access of information to authorized personnel, based on job function and role. Youturn genetic testing access controls include multi-factor authentication, single sign-on, and a strict least-privileged authorization policy.
Risks and Considerations
You may discover things about yourself and/or your family members that may be upsetting or cause anxiety and that you may not have the ability to control or change.
You may discover relatives who were previously unknown to you, or may learn that someone you thought you were related to is not your biological relative.
In the event of a data breach it is possible that your data could be associated with your identity, which could be used against your interests.